The Housing Opportunities and Market Experience (HOME) report was created to monitor consumer sentiment about the housing market. It covers core topics that will be tracked on a monthly basis such as views on housing as a good financial investment, whether homeownership is part of the American Dream, if now is a good time to buy or sell a home and perception of home price changes.
- In the third quarter of 2017, 77 percent of people believe that now is a good time to buy a home.
- Forty-eight percent believe that strongly, a increase from 43 percent in Q2 2017, and an increase from 43 percent in Q3 2016.
- Seventy-eight percent of people believe that now is a good time to sell a home, up from 71 percent in Q2 2017 and a steady increase from 63 percent in Q3 2016.
- Fifty-one percent believe that strongly, up from 42 percent in Q2 2017.
- Forty-four percent will move to a cheaper rental property, find a roommate to reduce costs, or move in with family if rent prices increase. Fifteen percent will consider buying a home.
This HOME survey is released on a quarterly basis.